Thursday, April 19, 2012

#9

I began my ninth systemic infusion today. As I got situated, I noticed a guy a few years younger than me receiving an infusion. I looked at him, started laughing, and told him I was supposed to be the youngest guy there and he was messing up my scene. We both started laughing.  It's just so strange seeing someone close to my age dealing with cancer. Sadly, we all know there are plenty of people of all ages managing a cancer diagnosis. It's just that I'm used to hanging out in the infusion labs and joking around with people 20 years older than me. So this fella and I talked for a bit and essentially agreed how there isn't much else to do but just go forward with it and live the lives we've got.


I won't have my boy this Saturday as I normally do. He'll be with his Mom. Saturdays that follow an infusion have become my worst days. I miss him like hell on the nights he's not with me, but it really doesn't serve either of us when I'm so fatigued and in pain. Fortunately after this infusion, I only have three more systemic infusions scheduled, plus one pump infusion. That's only four more Saturday's I won't see him within a ten week window. It will pass by before I know it.

And then, should scans and blood work come back negative, there will be no more anticipation of the coming chemo sickness. Again there's just about no nausea which is a blessing. And it could be worse. I know people in a lot worse shape than I am. I'm healthy and strong with no detectable cancer in my body. I'm just getting knocked around pretty good every couple of weeks. I believe June 6th will be my final treatment. And I'm sure as hell ready for that.

4 comments:

  1. I am SO looking forward to the day you are given a clean bill of health, free of infusions--except those from the joy of having Beau in your life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The here's to June 17th, Father's Day. By then, I'm hoping for you, that it will be a perfect day to celebrate! I love you, Bert!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ha.. I too have noticed that the cancer scene is mostly much older white-haired folk. Its like.. I made a wrong turn somewhere! I'm supposed to be at the gym trying to outrun my 40something year old ass and complaining about wrinkles and a few gray hairs.... and wonderfully stupid shit like that!! Not here with all these white haired 65-70 yr olds. Nobody is partying here. WTF.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha.. I too have noticed that the cancer scene is mostly much older white-haired folk. Its like.. I made a wrong turn somewhere! I'm supposed to be at the gym trying to outrun my 40something year old ass and complaining about wrinkles and a few gray hairs.... and wonderfully stupid shit like that!! Not here with all these white haired 65-70 yr olds. Nobody is partying here. WTF.

    ReplyDelete