Saturday, April 5, 2008

The Missing Piece


As I lurk around this oncological world and try to find a comfortable space inside of it all, I oddly find myself looking forward to the radiation and chemotherapy. The intention of these treatments are to shrink the tumor and tumor shrinkage will hopefully equal less pain. It's a strange thing to be looking forward to something I spent so many months so opposed to. I suppose for many people with cancer it must be an odd love-hate relationship.

Well, I am still edging my way into this world...baby steps. I feel good about how my body will respond to the treatment and I am always looking for ways to make it easier. When I decided to be treated at Guthrie instead of Cancer Treatment Centers of America, I was clear there was a piece missing for me that needed to be fulfilled and that is the Naturopathic approach. Fortunately, a friend brought over a copy of a book entitled How To Prevent and Treat Cancer With Natural Medicine written by four authors, one of which is Timothy Birdsall who is the head Naturopath for all of the Cancer Treatment Centers of American throughout the country.

That same day Daniela happened to find our own copy of the same book. What Daniela found in this book are a list of the supplements necessary to prepare the body before, during and after chemotherapy & radiation. We were so excited. Then our friend (and neighbor) researched the most favorable forms of each supplement and which retailers have it available. That was a lot of legwork and we are quite grateful for all she has provided. And, we have a friend who is related to Timothy Birdsall and we hope to get Mr. Birdsall's input regarding any updates or supplement changes that are relevant to my diagnosis. Keep your fingers crossed!

So, now that I am no longer taking the many Gerson Therapy supplements I took daily for 10 months, I am on another whole slew of supplements. As funny as that is, I am glad and grateful to have these supplements available to me. As I am sure you can imagine, I am very much looking forward to as easy a ride as possible over these next 5 1/2 weeks of chemo and radio therapy. And what ever can be done to make it easier for me, I will do diligently. Now I just hope this Port-A-Cath heals up in time - Tuesday is not that far away!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment