Wednesday, February 27, 2008

In Gratitude

I want to thank so many of you for the generosity that we are so often recipients of. But today I want to acknowledge those of you who have sent money to us. Why? Because this a topic I consistently avoid - like the plague - because it's so difficult for me to humble myself and even acknowledge our financial situation. Since my intention is to thank you and I have the courage the do it at the moment, I figured I better express before I crawl back under my rock.

The reality of our situation is that we live on my disability check of $1,300 a month. That check is for the four of us. Daniela doesn't work because she is taking care of Beau and me all day long and of course our 10 year old when he is home from school and not with his father. Were we to live solely on the disability I receive, we would certainly be bankrupt and to tell you the truth, I can't imagine what life would be like for us. To put it simply, we would be dealing with an added stress that right now, is the last thing on earth that we need.

And on a very personal side, it really warms our hearts to find those letters in the mailbox with a very sweet note, letting us know we are being thought of. And then to open it and find a check. Ya'll make me cry sometimes... Visits and calls have not been beyond reason because people don't want to bother or intrude and to tell you the truth, this often works for us. We are managing life, but the stress is a regular part of what we manage and quiet is a helpful element. However, being the very social person I am, I must say it is a bit odd to not be in the outside world in constant interaction with others. So, thank you for your notes and cards. They are incredibly sweet.

Again I have to say, THANK YOU for making the difference you make in our lives. Your generosity keeps my path of healing moving forward and gives us peace of mind - probably more than you can imagine. We live in deep gratitude to you all.

Love,
Bert, Daniela & the boys.

No comments:

Post a Comment